Tuesday, October 18, 2016

My Birth Story


For those of you who have been keeping up with my pregnancy this year, here is my birth story. If you haven't, check out our annoucement and our gender reveal.

As my due date was drawing near for my third child, I was getting anxious to meet her. Let's be honest too, I was secretly hoping to have her early because I was so over being pregnant. (The last month is always the longest) 

I had a doctors appointment on Tuesday, August 30th in the late afternoon (I was 38 weeks) and was dilated 3, almost 4 centimeters. I knew she could come at anytime and I was so ready (but thinking with my luck, she wouldn't come anytime soon)

I was woken up at 6 AM on Wednesday, August 31st to a contraction. I didn't think much of it since I was having contractions off and on since week 30. From 6 AM to 7 AM I was having more contractions than I normally do. I decided I should probably start timing them. My husband left for work at this point. Out of no where, I had a very painful contraction. It was like none I've had before. Then two minutes later I had another. Both my toddler boys were still asleep, but I then texted my husband that he needed to come back home. I timed my contractions for less than an hour and they were 1-3 minutes apart.

My doctors office didn't open until 8 AM, so I was waiting to call. I didn't realize I was in active labor as my other two pregnancies I was induced and had the epidural. I thought this was just the begining, so I thought I had time. My husband got home a little after 8 AM and grab our hospital bags (thank goodness I already packed them) and woke our two sons up and got us in the car to head to my doctors office to get checked out.

Being 8 AM we were hitting rush hour morning traffic. It was the longest 40 minute drive to the hospital ever and having the most pain I've ever had in my life. Somehow I made it up to my doctors office, having to stop in between contractions.

When I got to the doctors office, it felt like the longest wait (when in reality it was only a couple minutes). When my doctor came in and saw how I reacted to the contraction, she knew this baby was coming. I was dilated 9cm! I was in shock! First thing out of my mouth when she told me that was "Darn, that means no epidural." My doctor got a wheelchair over and I was taken to labor and delivery. An intern was pushing me while my husband was behind us with our two boys. 

When my husband opened the door to labor and delivery to let us in, it was like a movie. All of the nurses were waiting for me at the front desk already in their delivery gear. We rushed to a room that was ready to go. This moment was a bit of a blur, but somehow I ended up in a hospital gown and in the bed.

One of the nurses offered to take our boys out of the room with them and give them breakfast. We were worried what we were going to do with them if this were to happen. I am soooo grateful for the wonderful staff taking care of our boys.

I remember being in the bed and seeing my doctor rushing to get ready to deliver while another nurse was hooking me up to check my contractions, baby's heart rate, and getting an IV in me.

To save from all the gruesome details, I had Alizabeth Jen Galloway at 9:27am on August 31st. I had her completely natural with no pain meds. It was the most painful thing I've ever experienced, but the most empowering experience I can't even describe!

Because of how fast everything escalated, I have no pictures while in labor. So here are a few we were able to take afterwards.







Thank you everyone for your support and understanding of me taking the month of September off. I am now back to working full force and I can't wait to show you all the new sessions I have been doing. October has been a busy month!

To see more pictures, visit my Facebook Page.

~AS Captured~



No comments:

Post a Comment