Monday, December 28, 2015

Oliver Rees' Birth



I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and wonderful weekend! One of these days I will be all caught up on my blog posts.

One of my best friends was pregnant with her second child. I've shot many amazing milestones for her and her family such as gender reveals, birthdays, and maternity pictures (just to name a few). When she asked if I could take delivery pictures, I was super excited and also super nervous. This is the kind of session I have always wanted to do, but I also have never seen a birth other than my own two kids (which is different when you're actually having the child).

I remember texting Holly on October 20th while she was at the doctors office getting an ultrasound, patiently waiting to hear if there was any new progress on when she might have her baby. I then got the text, "I'm getting induced tomorrow" Oh my how excited I was!

Holly was suppose to call the hospital at 6:30am on the 21st to find out when to get to the hospital. They told her to get there around 7:30am. I arrived at the hospital at 9am, giving them enough time to get paper work done, get a room, and get everything ready to have a baby.




I texted Holly when I arrived and she told me to take my time because she was feeling fine. I arrived to her room maybe 10 minutes later and feeling fine was a different story. She was having contractions every 3-5 minutes and could feel all of it. She was still waiting for her epidural and most of her contractions were in her back. 






These were some of the most emotional pictures I have had to take. The feeling in the room was like none I can describe. You have to watch someone you care about be in this pain and you know there is nothing you can do to help them. It finally came time for her to get her epidural and we had to step out to the waiting room around 11am.



We waited in the waiting room for about 45 minutes, the doctor poked her head in and said she is going to start pushing. We were so shocked! The last we heard before she got her epidural was that she was only dilated 3 cm. (No wonder her contractions were so intense)



Turns out the epidural ended up not even working either. So she felt everything, and lucky she didn't have to push for long and Oliver Rees Erlacher was born at 11:59am!










This is still one of my most favorite sessions (if you want to call it that) I have ever been able to capture. The birth of a child is such a blessing and a miracle in itself. I want to thank Holly and Mitch for allowing me to be there for such an important moment in their lives and I can't wait to capture even more memories for you and your precious family.

To see more photos, click here.

~AS Captured~

No comments:

Post a Comment